Fletcher Place, Indianapolis Homes for Sale
Just southeast of Downtown Indy lies Fletcher Place Historic Distrit, one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city and one of its best-kept secrets. Named after early settler, Calvin Fletcher Sr., the community boasts a variety of single-family homes, upscale condominiums, and small businesses. The Indianapolis Cultural Trail bisects the district along Virgina Ave.
Latest Fletcher Place, Indianapolis Homes for Sale
The views are amazing from the east facing 7th floor condo! Enjoy mornings and evenings on your balcony. Gorgeous hardwood floors throughout the main living areas. B...
3 Beds 3 Bath Areas 2370 SqFt
One of the most stunning renovations you'll find in Union Laundry Lofts. Located just off Virginia Ave, in the heart of Fletcher Place, this historic condo is perfe...
2 Beds 3 Bath Areas 2193 SqFt
Luxury high rise downtown condo living at an EXCELLENT VALUE. Walk or bike the Cultural Trail, Monument Circle, Lilly, Lucas Oil, Fountain Square, festivals, concer...
2 Beds 2 Bath Areas 2105 SqFt
Like brand new, this 2-Bed, 2.5 bath Townhome is located in the heart of Downtown Indy. Close to everything, Fletcher Place townhomes, built by Onyx and East, have b...
2 Beds 3 Bath Areas 1390 SqFt
Nicely renovated 2BR/2Ba condo in popular Union Laundry Lofts. Master bedroom and bath on the upper level with guest room and guest bath on the main level. Great f...
2 Beds 2 Bath Areas 1400 SqFt
3rd bedroom plans all created and ready to go. View the attached documents to see plans to add 3rd bedroom upstairs! Fantastic property in walking distance to Fou...
3 Beds 2 Bath Areas 1902 SqFt
This lot has recently been split off of 822 Wright Street. The legal description of the lot is SULLIVANS SUB 30’ S SIDE L4 OL100. The lot is 30' x 135.8'. This is ...
0 Beds 0 Bath Areas 0 SqFt
Return to "Homes for Sale in Indianapolis Historic Districts"
The neighborhood is comprised of mostly Italianate and Queen-Anne style houses. Landmarks include the Caito Bungalow, the William Forsyth home, and a house designed by architect Francis Costigan. Other notable buildings include the Union Laundry Lofts, built in 1911, the Calvin Fletcher School built in 1857, and the former Fletcher Place United Methodist Church built in 1872. One of the oldest homes in the area can be found at 601 Fletcher Ave. The three-bay brick Italianate house dates to 1866.
The area south of Virginia Ave. is listed separately on the National Register of Historic Places. This area, known as The Holy Rosary Danish Church District was originally settled by German, Irish, Scotch, and Welsh immigrants in the 1850s. By 1910, however, 90% of its residents were Italian Americans. In fact, the community is hailed as Indiana's largest continuously-occupied Italian neighborhood. Landmarks include Trinity Danish Evangelical Lutheran Church (1872), Horace Mann Public School (1874), and Holy Rosary Catholic Church(1911 - 1925).
The former Fletcher Place United Methodist Episcopal Church at the corner of Fletcher and Virginia Avenues today offers luxury condo living in the 200-year-old Gothic Revival style brick building. Other condo conversions include the nearby ($30-million) "Villaggio at Page Pointe," "Fletcher Place Lofts" (formerly the Fletcher Place Community Center), and the former "Fletcher School" (circa 1857). These renovation projects are just a few of several that have sparked a wave of development in the neighborhood. More and more investors are renovating historic homes and converting old buildings into condos, leading to rising property values.
Calvin Fletcher's farm, "Woodlawn," originally encompassed most of the land in the district. Fletcher was not only the city's first attorney, but also served as Indiana State Senator, Trustee of the Indianapolis Public Schools, Trustee of DePauw University, Trustee of the Marion County Seminary, Chairman of the Free Soil Party Convention, and founder & president of the Marion County Agricultural Society. He later went on to establish the American Fletcher National Bank.
Fletcher was known as a fervent abolitionist who lobbied the federal government for the establishment of black troops to fight in the Civil War. He then allowed those soldiers to use his land for training. He died in 1866 from injuries sustained from falling off his horse.
In 1857, Fletcher platted off much of Woodlawn into individual lots. When the Citizen's Street Railway Company opened trolley lines here in the 1860's, large homes were built on Fletcher Avenue, with smaller workers' cottages built to the north and south. Virginia Avenue became the commercial thoroughfare, linking Fletcher Place with the Mile Square to the north and Fountain Square to the south.
Henry Laut opened one of the area's first grocery stores here in the 1870s. In 1892 Laut converted his building to a tinsmithing shoppe. It was here that he and his crew built many of the sheet-metal cornices and other detail work seen on many Indianapolis buildings today. Laut's building still stands on the corner of Fletcher and College, and is today known as Laut Sheet Metal Shops.
- Historic Urban Neighborhoods of Indianapolis
- Fletcher Place Neighborhood Association
- National Park Service
- Official Website of the City of Indianapolis and Marion County
- National Register of Historic Places
- Fletcher Place Neighborhood Facebook Page
- The Polis Center